Attacker who ingested poison in stable condition

first_imgCorentyne murderThe 28-year-old Corentyne, Berbice man who ingested a poisonous substance after stabbing his ex-wife to death is now in stable condition at the Port Mourant Hospital.Tovannie Simmons and Imran Lyte in happier timesImran Lyte, of Limlair Village, Corentye, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne), stabbed the woman, Tovannie Simmons, some 10 times about her body following an argument at her Second Street, Limlair Village home.He then fled the scene of the crime and was later rushed to the Hospital by relatives after ingesting the substance. Lyte remains under Police guard at the Port Mourant Hospital.It was previously reported by Guyana Times that Lyte and his sister went to Simmons’ home to discuss a matter involving her brother, which allegedly occurred last Sunday when a heated argument ensued and the suspect whipped out a knife and attacked his ex-wife.The dead woman’s mother, Jacklyn Henry, related that Simmons was visited by her ex-husband and his sister and they were sitting at the table having a discussion when he started stabbing the mother of four.“He grab she and start jooking she and she holla and jump on me; I went in the chair sitting down and I try fuh block he and he fire the knife at me and she run out on the landing,” Simmons’ mother said.Henry further explained that Lyte went on to the veranda where a relative tried to restrain him, but he was able to free himself and pursued Simmons, continuing to stab her.On Saturday last, Simmons had gone to collect her children from another part of the village and on her journey, she was confronted by Lyte, who accused her of allowing her friends to taunt his new lover. Lyte reportedly hit Simmons, and in retaliation, one of her sisters reportedly kicked him causing him to fall into a nearby trench. Her brother then intervened, and he was stabbed by Lyte. A report was made to the Police.last_img read more

Pochettino laughs off idea of selling key Tottenham defender

first_img Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen 1 Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed he has no intention of selling defender Jan Vertonghen.The Belgian international has been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane in recent months and revealed in September he would not be signing an extension to his current deal, which he said expires in four years.Vertonghen has been in and out of Tottenham’s defence this term, with captain Younes Kaboul and Federico Fazio forging an emerging partnership in the back four.But Pochettino is adamant the 27-year-old’s future lies in north London.“Jan is an important player for us and for me,” the Argentine boss said ahead of Spurs’ Europa League clash against Asteras Tripolis on Thursday night.“I know sometimes the players are affected by the rumours and comments. For me I don’t read the speculation and he’s a very good and key player for us.”last_img read more