Domestic violenceRanks attached to the Timehri Police Station, East Bank Demerara (EBD) are coming in for harsh criticism for their non-action to effect the arrest of a Timehri man, who attacked and severely beat the mother of his child on April 25, 2019 causing the woman to lose several teeth and sustain other injuries.Nirmala SookwahNirmala Sookwah, 20, was beaten by the father of her child after she refused to continue the relationship with him after suffering domestic violence.“If the Police had told us that they can’t find him, we would’ve accepted that, because at least we would know that they were trying, but up to yesterday (Saturday) I saw this bai, he ain’t hiding, so the Police can easily find him, but they are not trying,” Naresh Sookwah, the woman’s father, told Guyana Times.As such, the man is pleading with the authorities to protect his daughter from the suspect.“The gyal afraid, she can’t live in peace because he deh out here and we ain’t know when he can try something again, because nobody ain’t doing anything to him. We really need to see him arrested; she have a small son to live for,” the elder Sookwah added.As a result of the beating at the hands of the suspect, Sookwah lost several teeth, sustained a broken jaw and nose, and suffered injuries to her left knee.On the night of the incident, Sookwah had already retired to bed in her Lot 131 Hyde Park, Timehri home, when there was a knock on her door followed by the suspect calling out her name.Scared for her life, Sookwah recounted that she did not respond to the calls which caused the suspect to leave. He, however, returned later, broke a window, and gained access to the house.The woman said that she ran out of the house, but was caught by the man and thrown down a hill in the area.She was then further attacked and beaten. A relative went to her aid and the suspect fled the scene.Sookwah’s father had earlier related to this newspaper that his daughter was in an abusive relationship with her attacker, but separated from him two months ago.Sookwah left the relationship after she was severely beaten after questioning her then lover about a sum of money which belonged to her that he allegedly used to purchase a motorcycle. Following the beating and her departure from the home, the suspect has been following her and begging her to resume the relationship.When contacted, Divisional Commander Marlon Chapman assured that stringent efforts were still being made to apprehend the suspect.
California is 1st state to require women on corporate boards Updated: 12:33 PM AP, Categories: California News, Local San Diego News Tags: Jerry Brown AP Posted: October 1, 2018 October 1, 2018 SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California has become the first state to require publicly traded companies to include women on their boards of directors, one of several laws boosting or protecting women that Gov. Jerry Brown signed Sunday.The measure requires at least one female director on the board of each California-based public corporation by the end of next year. Companies would need up to three female directors by the end of 2021, depending on the number of board seats.The Democratic governor referenced the objections and legal concerns that the law has raised. The California Chamber of Commerce has said the policy will be difficult for companies to implement and violates constitutional prohibitions against discrimination.“I don’t minimize the potential flaws that indeed may prove fatal to its ultimate implementation,” Brown wrote in a signing statement. “Nevertheless, recent events in Washington, D.C. — and beyond — make it crystal clear that many are not getting the message.”Gov. Jerry Brown reviews a measure with staff members Camille Wagner, left, Graciela Castillo-Krings at his Capitol office, Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018, in Sacramento, Calif. Sunday is the last day for Brown to approve or veto bills passed by the legislature. Brown, who will be leaving office in January, is acting on some on the last pieces of legislation in his tenure as governor. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)It is one of several measures affecting women that Brown signed Sunday, his last opportunity to approve or veto laws before the term-limited governor leaves office. He also approved legislation requiring smaller employers to provide sexual harassment training and banning secret settlements related to sexual assault and harassment.But he vetoed a bill that would have required California’s public universities to provide medication for abortion at campus health centers, saying the services are already “widely available” off campus.Brown’s actions come as the #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct led to a reckoning nationwide that has ousted men from power. The latest high-profile allegations are against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, who has denied decades-old claims of sexual misconduct from three women.The author of the California measure on corporate boards, SB 826, said she believes having more women in power could help reduce sexual assault and harassment in the workplace.Having more women on the boards also will make companies more successful, state Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson said. Women tend to be more collaborative and are better at multitasking, the Santa Barbara Democrat said.A fourth of publicly held corporations with headquarters in California don’t have any women on their boards of directors. These companies have not done enough to increase the number of women on their boards despite the Legislature’s urging, making government intervention necessary, Jackson said.“This is one of the last bastions of total male domination,” she said. “We know that the public and business are not being well-served by this level of discrimination.”The California Chamber of Commerce argued that the composition of corporate boards should be determined internally, not mandated by government. The chamber said the new law will prioritize gender over other aspects of diversity, such as race and ethnicity.“It creates a challenge for a board on achieving broader diversity goals,” said Jennifer Barrera, senior vice president for policy at the chamber.The law applies to companies that report having their principal executive offices in California. Companies can be fined $100,000 for a first violation and $300,000 for subsequent violations.The law also requires companies to report their board composition to the California secretary of state and imposes a $100,000 fine if a company fails to do so.Some European countries, including Norway and France, already mandate that corporate boards include women.Brown stopped short on Sunday of making California the first state to mandate public colleges and universities offer abortion medication at their health centers. A bill by Democratic Sen. Connie Leyva would have required all 34 University of California and California State University campuses to make the drugs available at their health centers by 2022.The public schools now refer students to outside providers. Abortion rights advocates said that made it difficult for women without a car and also expensive because many private providers do not accept student insurance.A group of private donors, some of them anonymous, had vowed to pay for up to $20 million in startup costs, including ultrasound equipment and training for both medical and billing staff.Abortions using medication are induced by taking two pills, which can be given up to 10 weeks into a pregnancy. One pill is administered in the clinic and a second drug is taken later at home. The drugs induce bleeding similar to a miscarriage.Leyva vowed to reintroduce the bill under California’s next governor; Brown is leaving office early next year.“I am hopeful that our incoming Legislature and governor will agree that the right to choose isn’t just a slogan, but rather a commitment to improving true access to abortion for students across California,” she said in a statement.__Associated Press writer Julie Watson in San Diego contributed. FacebookTwitter
KUSI Newsroom San Diego County Crime Stoppers ask for the public’s help KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – San Diego County Crime Stoppers along with investigators from the San Diego Police Department’s Western Division are asking for the public’s help in identifying and locating a suspect wanted for an attempt kidnapping in San Diego.On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 4:29 p.m. the victim’s mother was taking her 3-year-old daughter for a walk in her wagon on the south sidewalk of 5100 Savannah Street. A Hispanic male parked his vehicle in the street facing east. The suspect exited his vehicle and left it running. Upon exiting, the suspect approached the victim from behind and attempted to grab and take the daughter out of the wagon.The victim’s mother heard her daughter whine and struggle. The victim’s mother immediately confronted the suspect, striking him numerous times in the face. The suspect released the child, ran to his vehicle and fled east on Savannah Street, south on Cushman and then west on Morena Boulevard. The victim’s mother described the suspect vehicle as an older silver or gray Honda Civic or similar vehicle with Baja (Mexico) license plates.Suspect’s Description:S-1 is described as a Hispanic male, 21-25 years old, 5’4 – 5’5, 125 – 140 pounds, thin build with dark hair. The suspect was wearing a white tee shirt with black print on the chest, dark jeans and blue high-top sneakers.Anyone with information on the identity or location of the suspect is asked to call the SDPD’s Western division at (619) 692-4800 or the Crime Stoppers anonymous tip line at (888) 580-8477. Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $1,000 reward to anyone with information that leads to an arrest in this case. Visit the Crime Stoppers website at www.sdcrimestoppers.org for more information on how to send anonymous web and mobile app tips.• Media inquiries about this case can be directed to SDPD Western Lt. Daniel Meyer at (619) 692-4860 or email at email@example.com.• Media inquiries about Crime Stoppers can be directed to Officer Mark Herring at (619) 531-1500 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Deputy Adriana Uribe at (619) 531-1547 or email at email@example.com . March 19, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News Posted: March 19, 2019 FacebookTwitter
Twitter NETWORK ERRORCannot Contact ServerRELOAD YOUR SCREEN OR TRY SELECTING A DIFFERENT VIDEO Aug 25, 2017 – 5:49 pm Zara Larsson On Writing With Ed Sheeran Artists on board for the U.S. platform-launch include the Pixies, Pvris, Wilco, and Niall Horan best known for his work with One Direction.In a June interview announcing the planned U.S. launch, company founder Richard Davies told Billboard, “Most genuine fans aren’t looking to profiteer from tickets. So they want a more ethical service through which they can trade tickets to other fans.” Fair prices for concert tickets in the U.S. give fans countless special events to look forward to without worrying about overpaying.Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Aretha Franklin Join “GRAMMYs Greatest Stories” Email Twickets Launches in U.S. With Ed Sheeran, Wilco ed-sheeran-wilco-pixies-join-us-launch-twickets UK ticket-reseller Twickets, supported by Adele and Ed Sheeran, opens in U.S. with Pixies and Wilco on boardPhilip MerrillGRAMMYs Oct 11, 2017 – 2:45 pm Oct. 11 is a good day for concertgoers looking to avoid ticket-scalpers now that the UK’s Twickets — supported by Adele and Ed Sheeran — has launched its “no more than face value” platform to resell spare tickets affordably in the U.S. Facebook News Ed Sheeran, Wilco, Pixies Join The U.S. Launch Of Twickets
SoftBank Group Corp Chairman and CEO Masayoshi Son attends a news conference in Tokyo, Japan, February 8, 2017.Reuters fileA $413 million cheque from a consortium of investors led by Softbank Vision Fund has propelled logistics start-up Delhivery into the billion-dollar club. The valuation of the company has risen to around $1.5 billion after the latest round of funding, which also witnessed participation from existing investors Carlyle Group and Fosun International. As per regulatory filings, Delhivery received $350 million from Softbank earlier this month.”We will be scaling our warehousing and freight operations, investing in building large multi-tenant fulfilment centres, integrated with our parcel and freight transportation networks,” Delhivery CEO Sahil Barua told various media portals. The investment will primarily be used for expansion into new areas. Delhivery plans to add 5,000 new pin codes to the current 15,000 by the first half of 2020. The company will also enhance its end-to-end supply chain platform for small and medium enterprises.The Initial TeamDelhivery was started by a bunch of engineers – Sahil Barua, Mohit Tandon, Bhavesh Manglani, Suraj Saharan and Kapil Bharati – in 2011. Barua and Tandon used to work for Bain & Company as consultants before starting the logistics company. While Barua is a management graduate from IIM Bengaluru, Tandon is a product of IIT Kanpur. Bhavesh Manglani is a Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology and IIM Calcutta graduate. Saharan and Bharati are engineering graduates from IIT Bombay and IIT Delhi, respectively. In the initial phase, the company started off as a hyperlocal logistics service provider specifically catering to florists, food businesses and offline stores in Gurugram. Between 2015 and 2018, Delhivery claims to have grown at an annual pace of nearly 65%. Nearly a quarter of products ordered online in India pass through the company’s channel currently. The company has handled over 450 million transactions since its inception.Gurugram-based Delhivery counts New York-based Tiger Global Management, Nexus Venture Partners and the digital arm of the Times of India Group, Times Internet among its other investors. “Our investment in Delhivery reflects our focus on partnering with innovative market leaders,” Munish Varma, partner, SoftBank Investment Advisers told Mint. “Over the years, Delhivery has demonstrated industry-leading growth and emerged as the one-stop solution for e-commerce logistics.” The start-up provides the full suite of logistics services, including, express parcel transportation, LTL and FTL freight, reverse logistics, cross-border, B2B & B2C warehousing and technology services. Earlier this month, Masayoshi Son-led Softbank had invested $60 million in grocery delivery start-up Grofers, which was just the first tranche of a larger $120-140 million funding round initiated by the company. Close Did you know these 4 ‘desi’ startups working on exciting electric vehicles in India? IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPlayMute0:00/0:00Loaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE0:00?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio TrackFullscreenThis is a modal window.The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading …
Bangladeshi ‘Mukti Jodhas’ (freedom fighters), Indian war veterans and serving officers of the Armed Forces on Wednesday commemorated their victory over Pakistani forces during the 1971 Liberation War here.Vijay Diwas celebrations at Eastern Command assume a special significance as Mukti Jodhas and Indian war veterans, who fought shoulder to shoulder, reunite every year to celebrate the momentous occasion in history.Lt Gen Praveen Bakshi, General Officer Commanding-In-Chief (GOC-in-C) of Eastern Command, Air Vice Marshal K P Nair and a large number of serving and retired personnel of the three Services paid homage by laying wreaths at Vijay Smarak (War Memorial) in Fort William.Bangladesh Food Minister Md Qamrul Islam also placed wreath along with other serving and retired officers of the 30-member Bangladeshi delegation who were present on the occasion.
Kolkata: The Indian Medical Association (IMA) has condemned the idea of ‘Bridge Course’ to create cadres of mid-level health practitioners by allowing dentists to practice mainstream medicine in various health centres.Niti Aayog, along with the health ministry, is examining a proposal to introduce Bridge Course for the dentists so that they can be used as mid-level health providers in various health centres across the state, particularly where there is a crisis of MBBS doctors. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataDr Santanu Sen, national president of IMA, declared that there is no shortage of doctors in the country. “Around 63,250 MBBS graduates come out of 494 medical colleges in the country. But India has only 23,729 post graduate seats,” Dr Sen said. “The fact remains that the government does not have the capacity to absorb the rest of them. Every year the unemployment among young medical graduates is a great cause of concern. The frustration of these youngsters with an undergraduate degree has to be addressed first,” he added. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateCondemning the idea of mid-level practitioners, IMA secretary general Dr RV Asokan said the government’s attempt to provide half baked medical care to the citizens through mid-level practitioners is dangerous. “The government should give permanent posting to MBBS graduates in 1.5 lakh health and wellness centres. Ad Hoc postings are not acceptable,” he said. It may be mentioned here that a meeting on this proposal is scheduled to be held at Niti Aayog on April 22.
Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailParamedics took three patients to hospital following a serious collision in the early hours which resulted in a major road being shut off. Emergency services were called out to Congleton Road in Arclid just after 2.20am this morning. Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service – who sent crews from Sandbach and Holmes Chapel – helped make the two vehicles involved in the smash safe. Meanwhile North West Ambulance Service confirmed that three three ambulances were sent to the incident with three people being taken to hospital. The extent of the injuries has not yet been revealed. The road was back open at 12.15pm.