Timehri woman’s family remains fearful as suspect yet to be arrested

first_imgDomestic violenceRanks attached to the Timehri Police Station, East Bank Demerara (EBD) are coming in for harsh criticism for their non-action to effect the arrest of a Timehri man, who attacked and severely beat the mother of his child on April 25, 2019 causing the woman to lose several teeth and sustain other injuries.Nirmala SookwahNirmala Sookwah, 20, was beaten by the father of her child after she refused to continue the relationship with him after suffering domestic violence.“If the Police had told us that they can’t find him, we would’ve accepted that, because at least we would know that they were trying, but up to yesterday (Saturday) I saw this bai, he ain’t hiding, so the Police can easily find him, but they are not trying,” Naresh Sookwah, the woman’s father, told Guyana Times.As such, the man is pleading with the authorities to protect his daughter from the suspect.“The gyal afraid, she can’t live in peace because he deh out here and we ain’t know when he can try something again, because nobody ain’t doing anything to him. We really need to see him arrested; she have a small son to live for,” the elder Sookwah added.As a result of the beating at the hands of the suspect, Sookwah lost several teeth, sustained a broken jaw and nose, and suffered injuries to her left knee.On the night of the incident, Sookwah had already retired to bed in her Lot 131 Hyde Park, Timehri home, when there was a knock on her door followed by the suspect calling out her name.Scared for her life, Sookwah recounted that she did not respond to the calls which caused the suspect to leave. He, however, returned later, broke a window, and gained access to the house.The woman said that she ran out of the house, but was caught by the man and thrown down a hill in the area.She was then further attacked and beaten. A relative went to her aid and the suspect fled the scene.Sookwah’s father had earlier related to this newspaper that his daughter was in an abusive relationship with her attacker, but separated from him two months ago.Sookwah left the relationship after she was severely beaten after questioning her then lover about a sum of money which belonged to her that he allegedly used to purchase a motorcycle. Following the beating and her departure from the home, the suspect has been following her and begging her to resume the relationship.When contacted, Divisional Commander Marlon Chapman assured that stringent efforts were still being made to apprehend the suspect.last_img read more

Steve Kerr clarifies comments, says Klay Thompson could play this season

first_imgSAN FRANCISCO — On the heels of an earlier comment, Warriors coach Steve Kerr clarified that he wasn’t breaking news when he said guard Klay Thompson is unlikely to play this season. He was just doing math.“I wasn’t announcing anything. He’s doing great with his rehab. It’s still possible he could play,” Kerr said after practice on Tuesday.Kerr was referencing an interview published by NBC Sports Bay Area this week in which he called the prospect of Klay Thompson playing this year …last_img

One year to 2010

first_imgSouth Africans buying tickets are issued with this prepaid ticket card. (Image: South Africa 2010) Excited fans cheer for South Africa’snational team Bafana Bafana. (Image: Chris Kirchhoff, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com. For more photos, visit the image library.)Janine ErasmusFind out more about using MediaClubSouthAfrica.com materialIn exactly a year’s time one of the greatest sporting events in the world will take place for the first time on African soil. The long-awaited 2010 Fifa World Cup kicks off on 11 June 2010.But before then the country will see another football spectacle in the form of the Confederations Cup, viewed as the forerunner to the World Cup, and the chance to test security strategies, health services, and infrastructure.The tournament, which features eight top teams including the winners of each of Fifa’s six football confederations, the world champions Italy and hosts South Africa, runs from 14 to 28 June 2009.With a massive US$17.6-million (R142-million) in total up for grabs, of which the largest stake is the $3.25-million (R26-million) for the winner and the smallest cut $1.4-million (R11.3-million) for each of the four last-placed teams, the Confederations Cup is a prestigious event in its own right.South Africa has spent billions on renovating stadiums, improving transport, including airports and new bus rapid transport systems, and upgrading telecommunications.The country is in the process of rolling out its digital broadcasting infrastructure, which will see all 64 games of the World Cup broadcast in high definition to selected networks around the world.President Jacob Zuma, in his maiden State of the Nation address on 3 June, declared that all preparations were on track for a wonderful sporting event that would leave lasting benefits not just for the host country, but for the southern African region and all of Africa.“We have, as government and the nation at large, pledged that the World Cup will leave a proud legacy from which our children and our communities will benefit for many years to come,” he said.Stadiums will be readyAll ten venues are in advanced stages of construction, with half that number already complete.One of them, the Nelson Mandela multi-purpose stadium in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape province, was unveiled this week ahead of the Confederations Cup.The stadium is the first newly-built stadium to be officially opened and will shortly be put through its paces with an international rugby match on 16 June between the British and Irish Lions, touring the country at the moment, and the invitational Southern Kings team.Both Fifa and the Union of European Football (Uefa) have expressed great satisfaction at the progress, in terms of physical preparations and ticket sales.Over 1.8-million applications from over 200 countries were received, of which just over half a million were allocated. While 44% of the applications came from South Africa, the majority that arrived from overseas indicates that football fans around the world are already planning their South African trip in June 2010.The second phase of ticket sales is currently underway and will run until 16 November 2009, or until the 100 000 available tickets have been snapped up.Former English Football Association chair Geoff Thompson described the stadiums as “superb”.“To have a World Cup in Africa is something many of us have dreamed of for years,” he said at a Uefa gathering in Denmark in March, “and without a doubt entrusting South Africa with the 2010 Fifa World Cup has been well placed.”The remaining five stadiums will all be complete by the end of 2009.National pridePublic opinion is running high and excitement and confidence is mounting amongst South Africans. A market research campaign commissioned by Fifa in January revealed that three-quarters of South Africans polled believed that the country will be ready and that the event would be a success.The survey, conducted by German research company SPORT+MARKT, also proved that a whopping 88% of South Africans are proud to be hosting the World Cup, and that three out of four believed that the tournament would further unite South Africans as a nation.It has taken five years for public sentiment to reach these levels, Back in 2004 when Fifa president Sepp Blatter made the announcement that the World Cup would travel to Africa, there was more a sense of trepidation than excitement. However, the January survey showed that 77% of respondents now feel more confident about the success of the tournament than they did in 2004.Do you have queries or comments about this article? Contact Janine Erasmus at  janinee@mediaclubsouthafrica.com.Related articlesBrand SA unveils 2010 campaign Second chance for 2010 tickets Uefa praises SA’s 2010 readinessUseful linksFifa 2010 World Cup2009 Confederations CupSouth Africa 2010SPORT+MARKTlast_img read more

Volunteers gear up for busy 2010

first_img18 December 2009While many South Africans will be relaxing over the holiday season, the 2010 Fifa World Cup Organising Committee (OC) will still be hard at work preparing for the task at hand next year.For the OC volunteer department, the New Year will bring with it the conclusion of the selection process and the beginning of training for the 15 000-strong group of volunteers that will help make 2010 happen.In January, the selection of the final 15 000 volunteers who will provide support at the 2010 Fifa World Cup™ will begin in earnest. These volunteers will be selected from a shortlist of 37 080 who were pre-selected from a total of 64 500 initial applications received from South Africa and abroad.The OC volunteer department will conduct interviews with the pre-selected applicants in January and February 2010, while for foreign pre-selected applicants, interviews will be conducted at the country of origin and in some instances through video conferencing.The successful volunteers chosen from this interview process will then be taken through extensive training in March and April 2010 in all nine of the host cities of the World Cup, while international volunteers will be trained over the internet, to ensure that once the teams arrive, the stadium gates open and the airports fill up, South Africa will be ready for 2010.For OC chief executive officer Danny Jordaan, the work of the volunteers is vital in ensuring that the tournament goes off without a hitch.“Volunteers form the backbone of the organisation of events the size of the World Cup,” Jordaan said this week. “We owe those who have already volunteered for the Confederations Cup and the Final Draw a large vote of thanks for all their support – they formed part of the core team which delivered these successful events to the world.“Next year we will once again rely on these selfless people in our efforts to ensure that we host a successful World Cup.“The volunteers that will be selected early next year certainly have their work cut out for them, but I know they will stand up to the challenge,” Jordaan said. This is their moment to be part of history, and we will welcome them into the World Cup team next year when selection is finalised.”The successful applicants will be trained in areas such as accreditation, administration, language support, IT and T, logistics, marketing, media, protocol, transport, volunteer management, and welcome and information services.Source: 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa Organising Committeelast_img read more

Career guidance initiative launched

first_imgNedbank and Primestars are joined byPPC Cement, Gauteng City RegionAcademy, Quest, the South AfricanInstitute of Chartered Accountants,the National Youth DevelopmentAgency and the JD Group assponsors of the programme. Martin Sweet says the project is aimedat inspiring youngsters to play a key rolein overcoming the current projected skillsshortage and the high rate ofunemployment in South Africa.(Images: Ray Maota) MEDIA CONTACTS • Nkosinathi MsizaSenior Communications ManagerNedbank+27 11 295 3560RELATED ARTICLES• Nedbank invests in water project• Nedbank branch runs on wind power• Pens for needy children • Education goes mobile with Vodacom• Can drive raises R8.5m for educationRay MaotaNedbank, one of South Africa’s big four banks, has launched a career guidance initiative for underprivileged high school students that will benefit more than 40 000 pupils in grades 9 to 12 across the country.The launch took place at the Michelangelo Towers hotel on Nelson Mandela Square in Sandton on 15 February 2012, emceed by popular 5FM radio and television presenters, Anele Mdoda and Gareth Cliff.Early career guidanceIn the third year of this initiative, the bank will invest more than R5-million in its My Future My Career programme. It will promote more than 100 career choices across 14 industries and will enable the pupils to discover the academic as well as personality requirements of each career.The students will gain insight into these careers through movie episodes shown at Ster-Kinekor theatres around the country. They will also learn from professionals in the working world what to expect in these careers.Kone Gugushe, Nedbank’s divisional executive for corporate social responsibility, said: “Time and again we see too many students showing up at universities without a clue of what they want to and, more importantly, can study,” Gugushe said.He added that the programme will give students insight into careers and improve the prospects of developing skills in critical sectors such as financial services, health and engineering.The programme, which is endorsed by the Department of Basic Education, was conceptualised by Primestars Marketing, which is also the project manager.Martin Sweet, managing director of Primestars Marketing, said that the project hopes to inspire youngsters to play a key role in overcoming the current projected skills shortage and the high rate of unemployment in South Africa.Through the programme, young people will also be encouraged to explore and take full advantage of the career opportunities.Nedbank and Primestars are joined by PPC Cement, Gauteng City Region Academy, Quest, the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants, the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) and the JD Group as sponsors of the programme.Where to catch the screeningsScreenings will include the following careers: accounting, law, entrepreneurship, mining and engineering, education, health, IT, construction, travel and tourism. Each pupil who attends a screening will leave with a reference booklet on that particular career.The screenings start on 26 February, with the subjects of entrepreneurship and tourism; on 4 March, it is the turn of IT and communications; on 11 March, mining, engineering and construction; on 18 March, banking, finance and accounting; on 15 April, criminal justice and law; on 22 April, health services and education; and on 29 April, arts and culture, and transport, logistics and distribution.They will take place at various theatres countrywide – in Gauteng at Brooklyn in Pretoria; at Eastgate; Sandton; Maponya Mall; Southgate; Eastrand Mall and Westgate in Johannesburg; in Northern Cape at North Cape Mall in Kimberley; in Free State at Mimosa Mall in Bloemfontein; in North West at Rustenburg; in Limpopo at Savannah Mall in Polokwane; and in Kwazulu-Natal at Gateway and Musgrave in Durban.In Western Cape pupils can catch the screenings at Cape Gate and Cavendish in Cape Town; while in the Eastern Cape, they will be at The Bridge in Port Elizabeth and Vincent Park in East London.“The JD Group realises the challenges and the effects of unemployment in South Africa, particularly among the youth of the country. It is with this mind that we partnered with the My Future, My Career initiative,” said Richard Chauke, a director at JD Group.These career episodes will also be screened at 13 NYDA youth centres across the country.The Nedbank FoundationThe Nedbank Foundation is the primary corporate social investment arm of Nedbank.Early this year it launched its Back to School campaign at Ga-Masemola village in Limpopo, where 150 pupils from four schools in the area received essential school items such as uniforms, shoes, stationery, books, bags and sports kits, to start their school year on a high note.It also has other projects that benefit underprivileged students, such as the Nedbank Fundisa Maths and Science Project, under which maths and science teachers in Eastern Cape and Limpopo are enrolled at Unisa for a one-year course on improving their classroom teaching techniques.The foundation also runs the Nedbank Mobile Library Project, the Matric Exam Revision Programme, and the M2 Mathematics Project.last_img read more