Ambrose bounced as WI bowling coach

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC):Bowling legend Sir Curtly Ambrose says he is shocked by his sacking as West Indies bowling consultant and also claimed he was blindsighted by the decision.The 52-year-old, who has served in the role for the past three years, said he had only been informed of the decision by head coach Phil Simmons less than a week ago and also pointed out that he had already planned his schedule around next month’s Tri-Nations Series and the four-Test India series starting in July.”I only learnt about it from head coach Phil Simmons on Wednesday (last week), and when he told me, I said to him that I am very disappointed because I never expected it and I never saw it coming because he never gave me any indication he was going to let me go,” Sir Curtly told the Observer newspaper here.”So it came as a bit of a shock, basically, but I haven’t decided which direction I am going to take just yet. I’ll just pause and give it a little time to think about it and decide where I want to go after.”Last Friday, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) announced that the Antiguan would be replaced by former Barbados and West Indies A fast bowler, Roddy Estwick, who was recently bowling coach for Barbados Pride in the Regional four-day championship.MORE TECHNICALThe move came just three weeks prior to the start of the June 3-26 Tri-Nations Series involving Australia and South Africa and just over a month after Sir Curtly helped guide West Indies to their second capture of the Twenty20 World Cup in India.Sir Curtly said he had been told by Simmons that he required a bowling consultant who was “more technical”, hence the decision to go with Barbadian Estwick.”I spoke to head coach Phil Simmons and he told me that he wanted someone who is more technical to work with the fast bowlers,” Sir Curtly explained.”So, I said to him ‘Well, ‘if you knew I was doing a poor job then you should have told me’, He said no, I did a fantastic job because I brought a high level of discipline to the team and I have motivated the guys quite a bit.”He added: “I did wish him all the best and asked him to continue with the team and that we can get some positive results because I am not going to hold him in malice or hold it against him. It’s just disappointing.”last_img read more

MEN ESCAPE JAIL SENTENCE AFTER GETTING TASTE OF PRISON FOR ATTACK ON YOUNG WOMAN

first_imgTwo young men who gagged and bound a girl before robbing her have escaped a lengthy jail sentence after being given a taste of prison.Lee McLaughlin was given a taste of prison. PIc by Northwest Newspix.Lee McLaughlin, and James Leedham, were part of a three man gang who terrorised two young women in a house robbery in Carndonagh. The men had pleaded guilty at Letterkenny Circuit Court to false imprisonment and aggravated burglary when they appeared on Monday last.An angry Judge John O’Hagan deferred sentence until yesterday but had sent both men to Castlerea Prison to reflect on what they had done.The court heard gang forced their way into the house at The Mullins in Carndonagh in broad daylight on September 29th, 2013.The men had their faces hidden and had also brought an imitation firearm to the house.Two young women in the house were watching television at around 1.45pm in the afternoon when the gang struck.One of the women Shannon Doherty managed to escape through a window but another woman, Danielle Doherty, who was 20, was held captive by the raiders.McLaughlin, 20, of Allendale Park, Carndonagh, tied Ms Doherty’s hands with a cable-tie and put duct tape on her mouth to stop her from screaming.James Leedham got suspended jail sentence. Pic by Northwest Newspix.The gang tried to put her into a wardrobe but she refused to go into it.They eventually stole 36 packets of cigarettes, 6 packets of loose tobacco and €58 in cash which they put into a rucksack which they had brought with them.However the men were chased by some neighbours who had ben alerted to the robbery by Ms Doherty who had escaped earlier.They managed to flee through fields but were eventually apprehended by Gardai.The court heard the gang had planned the robbery after watching a video the previous night.Victim Danielle Doherty said she was still suffering from the attack and had to lock all the doors in her house if she was home alone.Leedham, 18, of Station Road, Buncrana, revealed he had been turned down for an application joining the army and was upset.McLaughlin had suffered a vert tough childhood and his father abused him and his siblings including occasions when he would stub cigarettes out on them.Judge O’Hagan said if he had sentenced the men last Monday, they would have been looking at a lengthy jail term.“The deviousness which they did it with was quite frightening – the taping of the mouth, using cable ties, attempting to put her in the wardrobe – it’s like something you would see in the movies.“I really do hope the four days they have had in Castlerea was a time of reflection and that they should not wish to be there again,” he said.He sentenced both men to three years imprisonment but suspended the sentences for three years and ordered them to be of good behaviour.MEN ESCAPE JAIL SENTENCE AFTER GETTING TASTE OF PRISON FOR ATTACK ON YOUNG WOMAN was last modified: February 7th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:aggravated burglaryFalse ImprisonmentJames NeedhamLee McLaughlinletterkennylast_img read more