Ambrose bounced as WI bowling coach

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC):Bowling legend Sir Curtly Ambrose says he is shocked by his sacking as West Indies bowling consultant and also claimed he was blindsighted by the decision.The 52-year-old, who has served in the role for the past three years, said he had only been informed of the decision by head coach Phil Simmons less than a week ago and also pointed out that he had already planned his schedule around next month’s Tri-Nations Series and the four-Test India series starting in July.”I only learnt about it from head coach Phil Simmons on Wednesday (last week), and when he told me, I said to him that I am very disappointed because I never expected it and I never saw it coming because he never gave me any indication he was going to let me go,” Sir Curtly told the Observer newspaper here.”So it came as a bit of a shock, basically, but I haven’t decided which direction I am going to take just yet. I’ll just pause and give it a little time to think about it and decide where I want to go after.”Last Friday, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) announced that the Antiguan would be replaced by former Barbados and West Indies A fast bowler, Roddy Estwick, who was recently bowling coach for Barbados Pride in the Regional four-day championship.MORE TECHNICALThe move came just three weeks prior to the start of the June 3-26 Tri-Nations Series involving Australia and South Africa and just over a month after Sir Curtly helped guide West Indies to their second capture of the Twenty20 World Cup in India.Sir Curtly said he had been told by Simmons that he required a bowling consultant who was “more technical”, hence the decision to go with Barbadian Estwick.”I spoke to head coach Phil Simmons and he told me that he wanted someone who is more technical to work with the fast bowlers,” Sir Curtly explained.”So, I said to him ‘Well, ‘if you knew I was doing a poor job then you should have told me’, He said no, I did a fantastic job because I brought a high level of discipline to the team and I have motivated the guys quite a bit.”He added: “I did wish him all the best and asked him to continue with the team and that we can get some positive results because I am not going to hold him in malice or hold it against him. It’s just disappointing.”last_img read more

Second Jen breaks sitcom ground with two Asian women in lead roles

first_imgJen (Samantha Wan) is nervously sitting in a doctor’s office waiting for a gynecological exam. In the next seat engrossed in a medical pamphlet on sexual health is her best friend Mo (Amanda Joy).“Do you remember my first pelvic exam when my mom got me to see a gynecologist Dr. Chin?” asks Jen with alarm.Actors Wan and Joy are in the back of a former daycare centre in the west end Toronto neighbourhood of Baby Point. The studio has been mocked up to resemble a doctor’s office. Advertisement Advertisement Surrounding the duo are a team of producers and assistants putting together City’s Second Jen, a sitcom that is revolutionary in the fact that it stars not one, but two female Asian leads.Since ABC’s Fresh Off The Boat and Dr. Ken there has been something of a gold rush of Asian American sitcoms including CBC’s Kim’s Convenience scheduled for the fall season, and YouTube channel’s Single by 30. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebookcenter_img But Second Jen stands out because it is confidently doubling down on the Asian leads, as if we had already arrived in a post-racial world. The fact that it is Toronto-based makes sense, since this city is touted as the most diverse in the world. Still, it wasn’t that long ago when it seemed odd to some audiences that there were two South Asian co-hosts on mainstream news channels such as CP24.Back to the scene in the doctor’s office: At the age of 21, Joy says, her mom followed her to the doctor.“His first question was, ‘Are you sexually active?’ And she wouldn’t leave the room!” Twitter Login/Register With: Advertisementlast_img read more

Ryan Gosling says Weinstein is emblematic of a systemic problem

first_imgRyan Gosling says he’s “deeply disappointed” in himself for being oblivious to the sexual assault allegations against Harvey Weinstein.The London, Ont.-born actor posted a note Thursday on Twitter standing in support of the women who’ve shared their stories.“Like most people in Hollywood, I have worked with him and I’m deeply disappointed in myself for being so oblivious to these devastating experiences of sexual harassment and abuse,” he said. Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, Rose McGowan and Ashley Judd are among the actresses who have come forward.The Canadian Press Advertisement “He’s emblematic of a systemic problem. Men should stand with women and work together until there is real accountability and change.”Gosling is one of the few male actors to speak out against Weinstein in the wake of a New York Times report that opened the floodgates for stories from women who say they’ve been assaulted or harassed by the Hollywood mogul. Ryan Gosling posted a note Thursday on Twitter standing in support of the women who’ve shared their stories about Harvey Weinstein. (CHRIS PIZZELLO / INVISION/THE ASSOCIATED PRESS) Advertisement Advertisement Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

A DEADPOOL AND XMEN SPINOFF CALLED XFORCE WILL START SHOOTING THIS SUMMER

first_imgAdvertisement Login/Register With: Advertisement Deadpool and X-Men spin-off movie X-Force to start shooting later this yearJosh Brolin is cashing all those superhero cheques. The X-Men film franchise is expanding (the X-panded Universe, anyone?) with yet another spin-off going into production.First up, there’s Deadpool and its sequel, the horror-themed New Mutants and the TV shows Legion and Gifted… and now X-Force is totally happening too. Production Weekly reports that the film will begin shooting in October, with both Ryan Reynolds and Josh Brolin returning as the Merc with a Mouth and his mate Cable, respectively. READ MOREDeadpool 2 Spin-off X-Force Starts Production This Fall?According to a new report, the X-Force movie will begin filming sometime in October of this year. X-Force director, Drew Goddard, is currently filming Bad Times at the El Royale and that movie is set to hit theaters on October 8th, which means he’ll be on the promotional campaign ahead of the release and then afterwards as well. If this report ends up being true, Goddard is going to have a pretty busy month of October. Deadpool 2 is wrapping reshoots in Vancouver ahead of its May 18th release date.News of the X-Force movie was announced late last year, and it will see the return of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and Josh Brolin as Cable. And as the new report suggests, filming will begin this October. Deadpool 2 will introduce Cable and Zazie Beetz’s Domino character, so it seems likely that Domino will be featured in X-Force as well. Colossus is also a likely candidate to return as well. The official synopsis reads. READ MORE Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment When it was announced The Walt Disney Company, which owns Marvel Studios, had bought up a big chunk of 20th Century Fox, which controls the Deadpool franchise, fans speculated a mash-up movie of all your favorite Marvel characters could be coming.Their instincts were right: a Deadpool and spinoff, called X-Force, will reportedly begin filming this summer, according to Production Weekly.X-Force was originally conceived in 1991 by comic illustrator Rob Liefeld. The team of superheroes was led by Cable in its first appearance in New Mutants.   READ MORE Twitter Facebooklast_img read more