Everton boss Roberto Martinez hails influence of Garry Monk at Swansea

first_img Press Association Martinez played alongside and managed Monk at Swansea. And the Spaniard said on Thursday ahead Saturday’s league clash between Everton and the Swans at the Liberty Stadium: “I’m a big admirer of what Garry Monk has done. “I don’t see another manager who has had such a big influence over the last three seasons – taking different roles, having to stabilise the team, giving them direction, and avoiding relegation. “He then had a full season and achieved their best-ever finish in the Premier League, and is now following that with a really strong start to this season with different personnel – for me, it has been a very, very impressive job he has done. “The team play with a strong philosophy, but they are very flexible and always competitive. “I think in the last game they played at home they deserved to beat Manchester United and that speaks volumes about where Swansea are and where they can go. You feel under Garry there are many good things ahead.” Asked if he still spoke to Monk much, Martinez added: “No, because unfortunately a manager’s life is very busy. “But I have incredible affection and respect for him. Whenever I see him it feels like you’ve never been out of touch.” Monk took charge at the Welsh outfit in February 2014 after Michael Laudrup’s departure and three months later was handed a three-year deal with Barclays Premier League survival having been secured. In 2014-15 the club then achieved their highest-ever finish in the division of eighth – which led to another new contract for Monk – and they are currently in the same spot this term having made a decent start to the campaign, including a 2-1 win over Manchester United. Everton boss Roberto Martinez feels no manager has had as big an influence on their club in recent times as his Swansea counterpart Garry Monk. Meanwhile, Martinez – whose side are seventh – has reported positive news on the fitness of Seamus Coleman and Muhamed Besic. Defender Coleman and midfielder Besic came off in Saturday’s impressive 3-1 home victory over Chelsea due to hamstring problems, but Martinez said: “Both are reacting really well to treatment. I wouldn’t rule any of the two out for the next game.” Defender Bryan Oviedo (knee) is expected to be ready to make his return in Tuesday’s Capital One Cup game at Reading, while it remains to be seen exactly when midfielder Darron Gibson’s first-team comeback arrives after he featured for the Under-21s on Monday as he stepped up his recovery from a foot problem. That match, a 1-1 draw with Sunderland, saw Uruguayan forward Leandro Rodriguez score for a second successive under-21s fixture following his move from River Plate Montevideo last month. And asked on Thursday about the prospect of the 22-year-old featuring for the Everton first-team, Martinez said: ”I’ve been very impressed with him and I don’t expect him to be too far away from being in contention.” last_img read more

Centre Referee For Huge Nigeria, Zambia World Cup Qualifying Clash Revealed

first_imgRelatedTokyo 2020: Super Falcons to fly to Algeria on SaturdayAugust 22, 2019In “National Team”CHAN 2020: Eagles B Intensify Preparations For TogoOctober 16, 2019In “National Team”FIFA Throw Out Zambia’s Protest Against RefereeOctober 20, 2017In “FIFA” The centre referee for the crucial 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying match between Nigeria and Zambia has been revealed.According to world football’s ruling body FIFA, Joshua Bondo of Botswana will take charge of the game scheduled to take place at the Nest of Champions in Uyo next week Saturday (October 7).39-year old Bondo, who has been an international arbiter for the past 10 years, will be assisted by his countryman Oamogetse Godisamang. Godisamang, 40, an international assistant referee since year 2010, will serve as Assistant Referee 1 while Souru Phatsoane of Lesotho will serve as Assistant Referee 2. Another Bostwana official in Tielo Mositwane, who has been an international referee since 2013, will be the Fourth Official for the make or mar clash.Carlos Manuel Neves Henriques (South Africa) will serve as the Referee Assessor while Osama Hassan Ataaelmanan of Sudan would be the Match Commissioner. Ataaelmanan served in the same role for the earlier clash between Nigeria and Cameroon in Uyo, which ended in a 4-0 win for the Super Eagles.Nigeria could seal a sixth FIFA World Cup appearance if they secure victory against Zambia. Kick-off time for the match is 5pm Nigerian time.last_img read more

PHOTOS: Chile outshoot Argentina to win first Copa America

first_imgChile ended their 99-year wait for a Copa America title by beating Argentina 4-1 on penalties to win the tournament on home soil in Santiago.Jorge Sampaoli’s side denied Lionel Messi his first international honour by edging out La Albiceleste in the shootout, having dominated much of the contest in regular and extra time – despite failing to create much in the way of goalscoring opportunities.However, Gonzalo Higuain passed up a golden chance to claim victory for Argentina in stoppage time after 90 minutes – sending a tame shot from a tight angle into the side netting with the goal gaping. And the Napoli forward proved the villain in extra-time too, blazing Argentina’s second kick high over the bar to give Chile the advantage – which La Roja, having finally earned it, never relinquished.Ever Banega also missed in the shootout, with Messi the only Albiceleste player to find the net from the spot. Chile’s penalty kicks were flawless, and Alexis Sanchez delivered the decisive blow, clipping the ball coolly down the centre to spark wild celebrations in the host nation.Four-time runners-up Chile celebrated in style as Argentina were left to reflect on what might have been once again, as their 22-year wait for a major trophy goes on.Argentina have now lost two of the last three Copa finals and Lionel Messi – the only Argentina player to score in the shootout – is still to lift a major trophy at international level. –  –last_img read more

JT Daniels ruled eligible at Georgia, adds to QB competition

first_imgThank you to the NCAA for granting me immediate eligibility and allowing me to play football this fall. I will not comment on the waiver or transfer, but look forward to a great 2020 season with my teammates.— JT Daniels (@jtdaniels06) July 13, 2020Georgia is looking to replace Jake Fromm, who had a 36-7 record as a starter and led the Bulldogs to three straight SEC East Division championships. Daniels is one of two transfers who fits into that mix.  MORE: Impact transfer QBs for 2020Daniels played in 11 games as a freshman at USC in 2018 and passed for 2,672 yards, 14 TDs and 10 interceptions. He suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2019 season opener. That opened the door for Kedon Slovis to take over the starting job.  Daniels is a former five-star recruit.   The Bulldogs also added Wake Forest graduate transfer Jamie Newman, who totaled 2,868 passing yards, 574 rushing yards and 32 total TDs last season. Newman is listed among the Heisman Trophy darkhorses for 2020.  Georgia also has a new offensive coordinator in Todd Monken, who comes to the program from the Cleveland Browns. The quarterback that meshes with that offense in what could be a new-look offense for the Bulldogs will end up taking the snaps.  The competition, at the very least, should be interesing in Athens for the coming season. The Georgia quarterback competition just got more interesting.  USC transfer JT Daniels announced Monday on Twitter that he will be immediately eligible for the 2020 season, a move that could spice up the battle for the starting job if there is a college football season.  last_img read more

Farah won’t rule out Olympic marathon bid

first_imgBut, now living in London after splitting from controversial coach Alberto Salazar, Farah is currently more concerned with winning the London Marathon. “For me it is the biggest marathon in the world, and it is going to be tough. Mo Farah ain’t going to turn up and win… it’s going to be hard to run,” he said.Quizzed on whether he had taught the Queen to do his famous ‘Mobot’ celebration, Farah laughed, saying it was “far too rude – not in Buckingham Palace”.Share on: WhatsApp Mo Farah receives knighthood from the Queen for services to athleticsLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Britain’s Mo Farah says he could compete in the marathon at the 2020 Olympics if he feels confident of winning a medal.Farah retired from the track in August to focus on road racing and has been coy about his Olympic future.center_img The 34-year-old had previously hinted he might not race for Britain again, but Farah hasn’t completely ruled out the opportunity of going for gold in Tokyo.Speaking after receiving his knighthood from the Queen at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday, the four-time Olympic champion said: “If I’m capable of getting a medal or close to a medal (in Tokyo), you will see me.”He has been retained on British Athletics’ World Class Performance Programme despite doubts over his Olympic plans.last_img read more

49ers linebacker Aldon Smith arrested at airport

first_imgIn this 2013 photo, San Francisco 49ers’ Aldon Smith poses for a photo, location not known. (AP Photo)LOS ANGELES (AP) — San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith was arrested Sunday at Los Angeles International Airport after authorities said he became belligerent during a security screening and threatened that he had a bomb.The 24-year-old player was randomly selected for a secondary screening at Terminal 1 and became uncooperative with the process, airport police Sgt. Karla Ortiz said. She said he told a TSA agent that he had a bomb before walking to the gate. When airport police officers caught up with him, Ortiz said Smith became uncooperative and was taken into custody.A witness video posted on TMZ.com shows Smith exchanging words with an officer as he was being handcuffed and escorted out of the gate area.Smith was booked for investigation of making a false bomb threat. FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said anyone who makes a bomb threat at an airport is potentially subject to federal charges, although no such charges have been filed against Smith.A message seeking comment from Smith’s agent wasn’t immediately returned.With the arrest, Smith is involved in three pending criminal cases.“We are disappointed to learn of the incident today involving Aldon Smith,” 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement. “As this is a pending legal matter and we are still gathering the pertinent facts, we will have no further comment.”A fearsome pass-rushing specialist, Smith took a five-game leave of absence from the 49ers last season to undergo treatment for substance abuse. He rejoined the team Nov. 5.Smith played in a 27-7 home loss to the Indianapolis Colts on Sept. 22, two days after he was arrested and jailed on suspicion of DUI and marijuana possession. After the game, he publicly apologized for his behavior and later announced he would leave for treatment.Leading up to the playoffs in early January, Smith said during an interview with The Associated Press he was encouraged by the strides he had made to better himself off the football field that put life — and his work — in perspective.  He said at the time he hadn’t had any alcohol since before his Sept. 20 DUI arrest, and that he wasn’t craving it. When he rejoined the team Nov. 5, he insisted he was on the path to lifelong sobriety stuck by that statement.His teammates rallied around him in support of his rehab and, later, his return to the team.Smith emerged as one of the NFL’s most-feared pass rushers in 2012. He had a franchise-record 19.5 sacks that year, but failed to record a sack in his final six games including the team’s postseason Super Bowl run.Smith finished with 8½ sacks and 34 tackles in 11 games last season, making eight starts.In November, Smith pleaded not guilty to three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon, stemming from a June 2012 party at his home. Investigators say several shots were fired, two partygoers were injured and Smith was stabbed. In the subsequent investigation, prosecutors say detectives found five unregistered weapons in Smith’s house, including two Bushmaster rifles and an Armalite AR-10T. They say those are assault weapons illegal to possess under California law.Smith and former teammate Delanie Walker were named in a lawsuit last September filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court by a Northern California man who said he was shot at a party at Smith’s house on June 29, 2012.  The players charged a $10 admission and $5 per drink, the lawsuit said. Smith and now-Tennessee Titans tight end Walker were allegedly intoxicated on Smith’s balcony when they fired gunshots in the air while trying to end the party, the lawsuit said.Smith, selected seventh overall in the 2011 draft out of Missouri, had previously been arrested on suspicion of DUI in January 2012 in Miami shortly after the 49ers lost in the NFC championship game.This is the latest in a long list of legal issues for 49ers players the past two years — and recently, too. The Niners, who lost to the rival and eventual champion Seattle Seahawks in the NFC championship game, have made nearly as much news away from the field as they have in free agency this offseason.On Thursday, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was one of three NFL players named in a Miami police report involving a woman who passed out in a hotel and later woke up in a hospital not knowing how she got there, though no one has been charged with a crime. Kaepernick, 49ers wide receiver Quinton Patton and Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette — a former 49er — were with the woman at a Miami hotel where Lockette lives, according to the Miami Police Department report. The police say it’s too early to determine whether a crime was committed.Late last month in San Jose, 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver was arrested on suspicion of felony hit and run and reckless driving after he drove a car into a bicyclist and fled. He is the player who underwent sensitivity training after his anti-gay remarks leading up to the Super Bowl after the 2012 season. He has done outreach to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.Last summer, another starting linebacker, Ahmad Brooks, was investigated by the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s office on allegations that Brooks repeatedly hit a teammate on the head with a beer bottle. No assault charges were filed because of insufficient evidence.According to police, Brooks hit then-teammate Lamar Divens with the bottle three times and then punched him in the face during an early morning argument June 8. Divens sustained a 3-inch cut on his forehead.Another member of the defense, Demarcus Dobbs, was suspended for Week 1 last season for his own arrest on suspicion of DUI and marijuana possession in 2012.___AP Sports Writers Janie McCauley and Josh Dubow in San Francisco contributed to this report.last_img read more