Ilonggo tops licensure exam for doctors

first_imgILOILOCity – An Ilonggo ranked No. 9 in the recent licensure examination forphysicians administered by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC). From left: Enrique Te, director, Iloilo Scholastic Academy – Board of Directors (ISA-BOD); Venido Peña, president, ISA-BOD; Peter Chan, ISA executive director; Mayor Jerry Treñas; Dr. Karl Francis Chan; Debbie Chan, ISA Preschool Department Head; and Eduardo Ong, director, ISA-BOD. Peter and Debbie Chan are the parents of Dr. Karl Francis Y. Chan. Dr.Karl Francis Yap Chan paid a courtesy visit to Mayor Jerry Treñas yesterdaymorning together with his parents Peter and Debbie. Chanposted a rating of 89.08 percent. He graduated from Ateneo de Manila University– School of Medicine and Public Health-Pasig. Duringthe courtesy visit, the Chan family was joined by the president of ISA, VenidoPeña, and ISA Board of Directors Enrique Te and Eduardo Ong.center_img Chan,a product of the Iloilo Scholastic Academy (ISA, Batch 2010), is from Molodistrict. His father is ISA’s executive director while his mother is the ISAPreschool Department Head. The PRC released theresults of the licensure examination for physicians on Sept. 19; 4,006 examineesout of 4,716 passed. The exam was administeredin thecities of Manila, Baguio, Cebu and Davao./PNlast_img read more

Kone receives Martinez backing

first_imgEverton manager Roberto Martinez insists his faith in striker Arouna Kone is not misplaced and he is not risking leaving himself short up front. The 30-year-old has not played since sustaining a knee injury in October which has restricted his Toffees career to five Barclays Premier League substitute appearances, one Capital One Cup start and no goals after joining from Wigan in July last year. Kone is still several weeks away from full fitness and although he is training with the rest of the first team, he has not yet managed to be involved in a full week’s schedule. “We are desperate to see him fully fit. He hasn’t been able to train every day and that is where he is at this stage of the recovery. “It is a question of a few weeks until he can be out on the pitch but there is no truth whatsoever he is for sale.” Martinez has added Christian Atsu to his attacking options after the Chelsea winger joined on loan but with Lukaku and Gareth Barry both making their loans permanent and £4million midfielder Muhamed Besic signing from Ferencvaros there are unlikely to be many more arrivals. Those signings, plus the return from injury of midfielder Darron Gibson, gives Martinez more depth as Everton face domestic and European campaigns. “I am very happy, today, at the start of the season, with the business we have done,” said the Spaniard ahead of his side’s trip to Leicester for their Premier League opener. “We have brought the right characters into the club. Now we are in a position where I am desperate to see how the team reacts to the first game of the season. “If there is anything (in the transfer market) which will help the team until the next window opens we will always look into that but in terms of the squad we have I am delighted with what we achieved and the continuity we got. “In terms of being desperate to bring someone in the answer is ‘no’ but we are going to use the period from now until the window closes to see how strong the squad is. “If there is anything we need to help the players we will do that.” Atsu admits he seized the chance to join Everton as he does not know when he will get his chance at Chelsea. However, the 22-year-old, who joined Chelsea on a five-year contract from Porto last September and was immediately farmed out to Dutch side Vitesse, is not yet thinking about long-term plans. “I can’t tell you the future but I don’t know how long it will take for me to get back to Chelsea,” said the Ghana international. “Looking at the players Chelsea has my playing time would not be much and for me I have to play football as a young player. “Right now I am really focused on Everton and at the end of the season we will see what will happen. “This is my first season in the Premier League and it is a really high level for me and a big opportunity to prove myself.” Press Association While Martinez has plenty of players who can operate just off the forward line, Kone is his only real back up to first-choice centre forward Romelu Lukaku after he made last season’s loan spell a permanent move this summer in a £28million deal from Chelsea. The manager insists he is not desperate to bring in anyone else and is prepared to give Kone a chance to prove his worth – even if he will not be available for selection until the transfer window has closed. Asked whether that was a gamble which could leave himself short, Martinez said: “That’s like saying ‘What if you get the two goalkeepers injured?’. Those situations you have to look into when it happens. “It is important the players we have at the club have an opportunity to show what they can do. “I don’t want to bring in players just for the sake of it just because the position looks light. “With Arouna it is difficult to say when he is going to be fit but I have an incredible confidence and belief in his ability as a footballer. “I want to make sure Arouna Kone is in a good position so we can make a good decision from now until January really. “A lot will be down to how Arouna adapts to being fully fit. It is a big area we are going to keep an eye on but very soon I think we will be very strong in that position. last_img read more

USC Admission Center extends deadline for students affected by fires

first_imgThe Center for Undergraduate Admission announced via Twitter Thursday that the application deadline to be considered for merit scholarships and certain programs has been extended from Dec. 1 to Dec. 8 for prospective students affected by the recent California wildfires.  The USC community has been dealing with the effects of severe wildfires since last Thursday. Forty-one percent of students in the class of 2022 have permanent residence in California. The Woolsey fire is threatening Thousand Oaks, a community 40 miles north of South Los Angeles. In Northern California, the Camp fire is the deadliest in state history with 63 fatalities confirmed and over 600 people still missing as of Thursday evening. The University of California and California State University systems announced earlier this week they are extending their deadlines for prospective students affected by the wildfires, along with waiving the application fee. Prospective students can apply for the extended deadline through a form available on the undergraduate admission page, which will verify applicants’ personal information and whether or not they are affected by the wildfires.Students must submit a complete application along with the extension request form by Dec. 8. If there are additional circumstances, prospective students can contact their respective admissions counselor prior to Dec. 1.last_img read more

Reggae Boyz lose 3-1 to Peru

first_imgJamaica’s Reggae Boyz, lost 3-1 to Peru in an international friendly in Arequipa Tuesday night.The Theodore Whitmore coached Reggae Boyz is preparing for this summer’s Caribbean Cup and Gold Cup.They were outclassed by the high-pressing Peruvians who opened the scoring in the 21st minute when Christian Cueva played a through ball to Paolo Guerrero who shot at goal. Goalkeeper Andre Blake parried the ball and the rebound fell to Edison Flores, who made no mistake from close range.Jamaica took a long time to settle and was guilty of wayward passing in the first half. The hosts would double their lead in the 44th minute after Renato Tapia, who was left unmarked on a corner kick and headed the ball past Blake.Peru continued to press in the second half forcing Jamaica to concede several corner kicks. It didn’t take long for the pressing to pay off as Paolo Guerrero, who after coming off because of a bloody nose, returned to the field of play and was almost immediately put through to slot home past Blake to make it 3-0 in the 59th minute.Jamaica’s consolation came from the penalty spot in the 86th minute.Owein Gordon drove into the box and was hit in the face by an errant arm from Nilson Loyola. The referee showed Loyola a yellow card and awarded Jamaica a penalty. Jermaine Johnson then calmly put the ball past Jose Carvalho.Jamaica will turn its attention to the Caribbean Cup in Martinique where they play French Guiana in the first semi-final on June 22 at 6:00pm while Curacao will take on Martinique at 8:30pm.The title will be decided on June 25 at 7:30pm.last_img read more