Murder trial hits delays

first_imgLos Angeles Superior Court Judge Stephen A. Marcus ordered  Tuesday a delay of the trials of the two men charged in last year’s killings of two USC graduate students, media reported.Bryan Barnes, 20, and Javier Bolden, 19, have been charged with first-degree murder in connection with the fatal shooting and robbery of Chinese graduate engineering students Ming Qu and Ying Wu on April 11, 2012.Qu and Wu, both 23 years old, were killed in a car in an off-campus shooting west of the University Park Campus near the intersection of 27th Street and Raymond Avenue.A wrongful death lawsuit was filed against the university in May by Qu’s and Wu’s parents seeking unspecified damages, claiming that the university misled people about the safety of the area surrounding the University Park Campus. However, Superior Court Judge Michael Johnson dismissed the case in February, citing insufficient legal arguments.Barnes and Bolden were charged last May in connection with the case. Both pled not guilty at their arraignment in July.last_img read more

Lakers’ Byron Scott putting more emphasis on stopping 3-pointers than making them

first_imgAfter once calling former Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni an “offensive genius” shortly after the Lakers hired him two years ago, Bryant made it clear last season that he did not like the “small ball” system. Instead, Bryant said he preferred playing “smash-mouth, old-school basketball.”Last season, the Lakers finished third in 3-point shooting (38.1 percent) on 24.7 attempts per game. But the Lakers still finished with the worst record in L.A. franchise history. Lakers coach Byron Scott said he doesn’t believe a heavy emphasis on 3-point shooting “wins you championships.” Yet, seven of the past eight NBA title teams led the league in both 3-point shots made and attempted.Scott said he is more focused on limiting opponents’ outside shooting, specifically citing that the Lakers have rotated late in defending outside shots from the corner. “Once we’re healthy, we’ll be a little bit more aggressive from the 3-point line,” Scott said. “Now it’s about trying to get the ball moving from side to side.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The Lakers’ 40-year-old point guard Steve Nash (back) and their 19-year-old rookie Julius Randle (right leg) are already out for the season. But the Lakers have also missed their two most prolific 3-point shooters with Nick Young (right thumb) and Ryan Kelly (right hamstring) out. Young wore a smaller cast this week, but he is not expected to return until late November. Kelly plans to practice on Monday and possibly return on Tuesday against Phoenix. “I’m unique in being a big who can shoot the ball,” Kelly said. “I hope I can help when I get back and knock a few down at least.”Mute buttonThe Lakers may have become unwatchable, opening the season with two double-digit losses. But the Lakers still are featured on 28 national television appearances this season.“I don’t know why y’all keep showing the Lakers,” TNT analyst Charles Barkley said Thursday during the Cleveland-New York telecast. “Come on man. This ain’t the 2000s anymore. Quit showing the Lakers, TNT.”center_img Kobe Bryant maintained an aura of calmness as he sat by his locker stall. He insisted he would not lose his cool amid the Lakers’ sluggish start.But a troubling trend has emerged that Bryant called “a big problem.” Houston and Phoenix combined to make 28 of 61 from 3-point range, while the Lakers have shot only 7 of 23 in their first two regular-season games. How do the Lakers solve it?“Guarding the 3-point shot and shooting more and making more ourselves,” Bryant said. “That’s tough math to overcome.”The Lakers hosted the Clippers on Friday in a designated home game at Staples Center, playing an opponent that features sharpshooting from Jamal Crawford and J.J. Redick. The Lakers play today in Golden State, which features Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson firing away at ease.last_img read more