Donegal League: All the reports, results and fixtures

first_imgAN ETHAN Coll goal sealed a 2-1 win for Kildrum Tigers and move the side into second place in the Donegal League Premier Division at the expense of Castlefin Celtic.Castlefin Celtic 1     Kildrum Tigers 2Kildrum left Castlefin with all three points after a hard fought 2-1 win in Parkview. The hosts started the brighter and took the lead in the 13th minute when Ian Ward latched on to a JP Malley flick on, he raced down the right and unleashed an unstoppable strike into the top corner.The visitors responded with a William Lynch effort but it was well saved by Anthony Sweeney in the home goals. In the second half the visitors drew level when Del Crossan was fouled in the box and Lynch slotted home the resulting penalty with 49 minutes played. In the 54th Emmet White went close with a free kick from 25 yards but it just went wide of the post.The hosts created another chance but a Matthew O’ Rourke header just flew wide after a Malley cross from the left.Castlefin looked more likely to hit the winner, O’Rourke again went close after a shot from 20 yards with 15 minutes left. In the 85th minute Castlefin were caught on the break when the ball broke to Kildrum’s Lynch and he played through Ethan Coll who broke clear and slotted home to give the visitors the lead.Best for Castlefin: Damien McAnenny. Best for Kildrum: William Lynch. Referee: Liam McLaughlinRathmullan Celtic 2     St. Catherines 2Sub Barry Rose netted a late, late equaliser for the visitors at the Flagpole as Rathmullan and St. Catherines were forced to settle for a point each.In truth, the result does little for either side in the scrap for points and the home side surely thought they had the game won when Kevin Doran volleyed them 2-1 in front on 90 minutes. On a wet and murky afternoon by the Seaside, there was plenty additional time from referee Joe McHugh and Killybegs made the most of it to snatch a share of the spoils. It was the Fishermen that got first blood.Ryan Cunningham stepped away from a covering challenge and slammed home a shot from 18 yards. Rathmullan weren’t behind for long however, skipper Eoin Sheridan rifling home a powerful low shot that had enough on it to evade the dive of Michael Mullin.The game was level at the break and, in truth, the second half was a tight affair which had all the hallmarks of being settled by a third goal if at all. It was the home side that duly found that elusive goal in the 90th minute with a goal of real quality. Dara Patton cushioned a long clearance from Mark Gallagher into the path of Ryan Connolly just inside the Killybegs half.Connolly’s diagonal pass was straight into the path of the marauding James Gallagher and his teasing left-footed cross found Doran lurking at the far post to divert the ball over the line with great control. That looked to be that, but a resolute visiting side summoned one last push. From a long punt, the ball was flicked goalwards and while Gallagher was alert to deny Dan Breslin, the follow-up was squared across the goal line and Rose was on hand to bundle home and prick Rathmullan’s late joy in the process. As is so often is, this was a battle from start to finish between these clubs and on a tough, tough day for football, both sets of players will eventually be soothed having not seen their efforts go unrewarded.Temple Domestic Appliances Division OneRaphoe Town 2     Gweedore United 2Raphoe Town and Gweedore United shared the spoils today in a 2-2 draw.Raphoe opened the scoring after 10 minutes when Colin Laird fired home from close range. Raphoe dominated most of the first half however Gweedore pulled one back through Peter Barry with ten minutes remaining before half time.Raphoe started sharpest in the second half and were rewarded with a goal from Oliver Quinn. Missed chances  from Raphoe  saw Gweedore come back again with Ciaran McFadden equalising to level it all level at the full time whistleGweedore Celtic 4     Glenree United 2This game was played in dreary conditions at an Screaban.The Celts opened the scoring on 10 minutes through a Tommy Diver penalty after Eamonn McGee was taken down in the area.The second half was a much more lively affair and Glenree soon equalised 2 minutes into the half through Nicholas Ellis. Gweedore responded quickly and regained the lead just a few minutes later after Colin Ferry converted a long throw-in from Odhran Mc Niallais.On 60 minutes Andrew Kelly scored a great volley to level proceedings once again. Colin Ferry then latched onto a long ball from Joe Bonner and managed to dribble past three defenders before finishing with a well weighted chip over the advancing keeper. The Screaban men then put the game to bed when Eamonn McGee rose to flick home a Jamie Boyle corner.Micheal Mc Kelvey made a fantastic save from close range late on. The topsy-turvy game finished 4-2 to Gweedore.Donegal Town 5     Bonagee United 1Donegal started the game the better of the two teams and found themselves a goal to the good after 20 minutes.Daniel McHugh’s free kick finding the top corner. Donegal had a number of chances to double their lead in the first half but the Bonagee goalkeeper pulled of a number of fine saves.It was 1-0 to Donegal at half time. Donegal had a fast start to the second half. Stephen Curneen doubled Donegal’s lead on 50 minutes when he headed home Eoin Slevin’s cross to the front post.Daniel McHugh got Donegal’s third on 55 minutes with a neat chip over the Bonagee keeper. Ben Sweeney got Donegal’s fourth and Stephen Curneen rounded off the scoring for Donegal late in the game.Lee M Monagle got a late consolation goal for Bonagee when he turned his marker and finished well from inside the Donegal box.Keadue Rovers 3      Deele Harps 0Keadue Rovers were comfortable winners over Deele Harps at Central Park on Sunday in a vital battle just above the relegation zone.Keadue were ahead by the 10th minute when David Ward’s free kick from the left was flicked to the net by Sean Yank Boyle.It was still 1-0 at the break despite another good effort saved just before half time by the Deele keeper. After the break though, Deele were much the brighter with a number of efforts, the best of which was saved by Hugh Boyle in the Keadue goals in the48th minute.To their credit, Keadue started to get a hold on things just before the hour mark and went 2-0 up when Conor Greene was on hand to slot home at the far post after good work down the right hand side.They went 3-0 up on sixty five minutes when Corey Gallagher headed in at close range from a corner. At that stage Keadue introduced a few subs and still maintained a good attack with a number of chances falling to both Conor Greene and Ryan Greene and the home side ended the game much the stronger and could well have won by a greater margin.A solid and dogged team performance from Deele Harps while best for Keadue were Sean Yank Boyle, Danny Mc Glynn and Hugh Moy.CT Ball Division TwoDrumkeen United 4     Whitestrand United 1Drumkeen got the new year off to a winning start at home to Whitestrand on Sunday but the game was a lot closer than the final scoreline would suggest.The home team led by two goals at half time and it was no more than they deserved. The half time scoreline could have been a lot worse for Whitestrand only for their Keeper Paddy Kelly who made several good saves to keep Drumkeen at Bay.The deadlock was finally broken on 35 minutes when Paddy Kelly made another save but this time the ball came back out to Jason Moore and he made no mistake from eight yards.Having found it hard to get a goal Drumkeen got their second soon after. Aaron Doherty turned provider when his cross from the right was headed home superbly by Lee Kennedy to give the home team a two goal lead at half time.All the Whitestrand pressure eventually did pay off as they pulled back a goal from an unexpected source. They were awarded a free kick on the half way line which was taken by goalkeeper Paddy Kelly. We will never know if he meant it or not but his free kick went all the way and ended up in the back of the Drumkeen net.He tried the same thing a little later from a similar position but this time Michael Gibson was on his line and managed to get a hand to the ball and push it on to the crossbar. Drumkeen were getting a bit nervous now as they now only led by a goal, Michael Guthrie was introduced as a sub by Drumkeen Manager Sam Hegarty and it proved to be a good decision as the young player added a third goal when he calmly slotted the ball home from 8 yards to ease the home nerves and ensure the points were staying in Drumkeen.The home team added a fourth goal near the end which was a bit unfortunate for the Whitestrand keeper as a shot deflected off one of his defenders giving him no chance of saving it.Letterbarrow Celtic 1     Dunkineely Celtic 0This match was reversed to Darney Park after Letterbarrow’s pitch was unplayable.A minute of silence was held for Leo Gorman and Mary Gallagher. The match started with a frantic pace with Dunkineely creating many chances and nearly getting there just reward with a great effort by Aaron Byrne who was denied by the crossbar. Letterbarrow were awarded a penalty on the 56th minute which was slotted home by Alan Foxton. Dunkineely pushed on but couldn’t find the back of the net.Eany Celtic 3      Lifford Celtic 2A gutsy performance from a young Eany side saw their good run continue and another three points notched up when they brought Lifford Celtic’s unbeaten run to an end in Eany Park.It was the home side that started the brightest and strikers Mc Groarty and Griffin went close in the early exchanges. In the 20th minute a fine cross by Caolan Gaffney found Paul Mc Groarty in the box and he set Stephen Griffin up to fire home from close range.The visitors stepped up a gear and had a purple patch for ten minutes and this yielded a goal when Ross Porter found himself in space in the Eany box to score the equaliser on the half hour. The game looked like going to halftime 1-1 but Stuart Johnson made the most of another Mc Groarty cross and put Eany ahead in the 40th minute.Lifford came out in the second half and found some rhythm and got back on terms on the hour when Jason Mc Brearty scored after a fine breakaway run.Both sides worked hard for the three points but with ten minutes remaining Aidan Meehan stole in at the back post to get Eany’s third and decisive goal. Good team performances from both sides. Referee: Michael MulhernCurragh Athletic 1     Cranford United 4The game between Curragh and Cranford ended 4-1 to the visitors.The game was played in perfect conditions. It was Curragh to strike first after just 6 minutes with Gavin Sweeney latching on to a great Mikey Grant corner.Cranford pressed hard and on 35 minutes got their reward. Cranford led at the break 2-1 . The second have saw Curragh start well and pushed looking for a goal but Cranford stood strong.Glencar Inn Saturday DivisionArranmore United 1     Dunlewey Celtic 0This was a hard fought victory for the Islanders as Dunlewey made it very difficult for Arranmore.Dunlewey started better and with the aid of the breezy conditions made it very busy for the Arranmore backline. The home team gradually came into the game and Ruan Reynolds had a good effort come off the post. Shortly afterwards Martin Proctor should have done better when in a good position.On the half hour Arranmore took the lead when returning talisman Gavin McGlanaghey sprung the offside trap, rounded the keeper and tapped home.The second half saw Arranmore push on but couldn’t find the killer second goal as Declan Proctor, Martin Proctor and Gavin all went close. Dunlewey had 2 or 3 great half chances but were denied by great defending by Jason O’Donnell and Danny Rodgers, Arranmore again winning by the odd goal and defensively very strong.Good performance from both sides but despite been played out of position Chris Mc Glanaghey was best player on view. Referee: George ClintonGlencar Celtic 4     Drumbar F.C. 0(No Report)Strand Rovers 4     Fintown Harps AFC 0A cold and clear day was the setting for this encounter between Strand Rovers and Fintown Harps.The match started off cagey as both sides tried to implement their system from the off, chances fell to both sides early on but neither side could edge ahead until a brilliant cross from Matthew O’Donnell found Brendan Glackin on the far side of the box who put it away to give Strand the lead.Strand however couldn’t push on from this during the first half and the score at half time remained 1-0.The second half brought a lot of action starting with Stephan Glackin being sent off for Strand due to a poor challenge while being the last man, Fintown would have been glad for the advantage but Strand remained strong and soon after Michael Ward set up Paddy Glackin who scored to put Strand 2-0 ahead.After this the flood gates opened and Strand took complete control, Jack Doherty and Darragh Hanlon both scored to end this one sided tie.Saturday Reserve DivisionKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves P     Erne Wanderers Reserves P(No Report)Glenea United Reserves 2     Castlefin Celtic Reserves 2The top two played out a hard fought tension filled game. It was Castlefin that settled the quickest and had a couple of half chances that came to nothing. Glenea came more into the game and went close through a Chris Cannon effort.Glenea opened the scoring on 35 minutes when the away defence failed to deal with a through ball and allowed Martin Ferry to get free and he lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper.Castlefin pressed hard for an equalizer and went close with a free-kick. In the 2nd half Castlefin started strongly and equalized on 52 minutes when a corner found it’s way to Simon Mc Glinchey and he fired home from close range.Castlefin took the lead on 60 minutes when Keith Nelis headed home a corner.Glenea pressed hard for an equaliser and went close with efforts from Martin Maguire and Martin Ferry but were nearly caught out on the counter attack on a couple occasions.Glenea equalized on 85 minutes when Martin Ferry’s cross was deflected into the path of Lee O’Brien and finished at the back post.In the remaining minutes both sides pushed for a winner but it was Glenea that came closest when after good work by Aodhan Ferry, his pull back found Lee O’Brien but his effort was saved by the keeper. Team efforts from both sides.Referee: Michael McFadden.Cappry Rovers Reserves P     Milford United Reserves P(No Report)Donegal Town Reserves 7     Glenree United Reserves 0Ted Bustard was the star of the show scoring four goals in this convincing win for The Town against an understrength Glenree.Bustard opened the scoring on 30 minutes when he was first to react when the ball came off the Glenree crossbar to shoot home.The lead was doubled minutes later when Bustard struck again on 35 minutes and just before halftime a good run out of defence by Sean Kennedy who passed to Bustard who converted for his hat-trick with a low shot. With the breeze in their backs Donegal dominated the second half and were awarded a penalty which Bustard duly converted.Gary Ward struck on 55 minutes to make it 5-0 with a fine individual goal.Sub James Byrne made it six with a header from a corner and Gary Ward scored in the last minute to make it 7-0 with a low shot coming in from the wing.Best for Donegal Bustard, O’ Reilly & Enright in midfield and a brave display by an understrength GlenreeReferee: Brian O’KaneSt. Catherines Reserves 6     Drumoghill F.C. Reserves 1St. Catherine’s played host to Drumoghill in Emerald Park on Saturday afternoon.Both teams started brightly, and within 15 minutes St. Catherine’s took the lead when the ball broke to Barry Cannon and he rounded the Drumoghill keeper to put the ball into the net and put St. Catherine’s one nil up.With 20 minutes gone St. Catherine’s went two nil up when Brandon Mc Brearty got the ball and slotted it into the Drumoghill net. Two minutes later it was that man again Brandon McBrearty getting his second goal of the game with a cool finish in the bottom corner of the net.Drumoghill created a couple of good chances but they came to nothing as the St. Catherine’s defence held them out. St. Catherine’s keeper Brian Smith then made a great save to deny Drumoghill a goal.Brandon McBrearty got another goal just before half time to completed his hat-trick and make the score four nil to St. Catherine’s at half time. The second half began with Drumoghill starting the better and creating some good chances but again they were denied by Brian Smith in the St. Catherine’s goal.Midway through the second half John Joe McGinley got on the scoresheet when he got the ball inside the box and from six yards out chipped the ball over the Drumoghill keeper into the net to make the score five nil. Drumoghill then pulled a goal back when the ball found its way to one of their players in the St. Catherine’s box and he put it into the net to make the score five one to St.Catherine’s.With time running out there was time for a sixth for St. Catherine’s, Nathan Moore finished nicely into the net to make the final score six one to St. Catherine’s.RESULTSSaturday 14th January 2017 Glencar Inn Saturday DivisionArranmore United                            1 v 0                   Dunlewey CelticGlencar Celtic                                  4 v 0                   Drumbar F.C.Strand Rovers                                  4 v 0                   Fintown Harps AFCSaturday Reserve DivisionKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves       P  v P                   Erne Wanderers ReservesGlenea United Reserves                   2 v 2                   Castlefin Celtic ReservesCappry Rovers Reserves                 P v P                   Milford United ReservesDonegal Town Reserves                  7 v 0                   Glenree United ReservesSt. Catherines Reserves                   6 v 1                   Drumoghill F.C. ReservesSunday 15th January 2017 Ulster Junior CupCuldaff F.C.                                     4 v 0                   Glenea UnitedBallybofey United                           0 v 2                   Drumoghill F.C.Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionKilmacrennan Celtic                         P v P                   Milford UnitedCastlefin Celtic                                1 v 2                   Kildrum TigersRathmullan Celtic                            2 v 2                   St. CatherinesTemple Domestic Appliances Division OneRaphoe Town                                  2 v 2                   Gweedore UnitedGweedore Celtic                              4 v 2                   Glenree UnitedCappry Rovers                                P v P                   Erne WanderersDonegal Town                                             5 v 1                   Bonagee UnitedKeadue Rovers                                 3 v 0                   Deele HarpsCT Ball Division TwoDrumkeen United                            4 v 1                   Whitestrand UnitedLetterbarrow Celtic                          1 v 0                   Dunkineely CelticEany Celtic                                      3 v 2                   Lifford CelticCurragh Athletic                              1 v 4                   Cranford UnitedCopany Rovers                                1 v 4                   Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.FIXTURESSaturday 21st January 2017                        K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Glencar Inn Saturday DivisionGlencar Celtic                                     v                      Arranmore United (K.O. 1 p.m.)Orchard F.C.                                       v                      Drumbar F.C.Strand Rovers                                     v                      Dunlewey CelticSaturday Reserve DivisionErne Wanderers Reserves                   v                      Milford United ReservesKeadue Rovers Reserves                    v                      Glenree United ReservesKilmacrennan Celtic Reserves            v                      Drumoghill F.C. ReservesGlenea United Reserves                      v                      St. Catherines ReservesCappry Rovers Reserves                    v                      Donegal Town ReservesSunday 22nd January 2017             K.O. 2p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionSt. Catherines                                      v                      Milford UnitedKilmacrennan Celtic                            v                      Castlefin CelticConvoy Arsenal                                  v                      Drumoghill F.C.Kildrum Tigers                                    v                      Lagan HarpsTemple Domestic Appliances Division OneErne Wanderers                                   v                      Gweedore CelticRaphoe Town                                     v                      Glenree UnitedDeele Harps                                        v                      Gweedore UnitedKeadue Rovers                                    v                      Donegal TownBonagee United                                   v                      Cappry RoversCT Ball Division TwoKerrykeel ’71 F.C.                              v                      Cranford UnitedCurragh Athletic                                 v                      Lifford CelticEany Celtic                                         v                      Dunkineely CelticLetterbarrow Celtic                             v                      Copany RoversDrumkeen United                               v                      Ballybofey UnitedDonegal League: All the reports, results and fixtures was last modified: January 15th, 2017 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Why MS Dhoni ran from Yuzvendra Chahal after India clinched ODI series 4-1 vs New Zealand

first_imgIndia cricketers were brimming with joy after completing a #10YearChallenge in New Zealand. The Asian giants thrashed New Zealand 4-1 to clinch an ODI series in New Zealand for the first time since 2009 on Sunday.The “Josh” was certainly high in the India camp after New Zealand were bowled out for 217 in chase of 252. After the post-match presentation ceremony, Team India leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal was getting ready for his customary post-match interviews with his teammates.Chahal TV, a chat show which the leg-spinner hosts for the Board of Control for Cricket in India, has now become a regular feature on the BCCI website. Chahal gets hold of the big names and the best performers after limited-over games and interviews them for the apex body of Indian cricket.When Chahal tried to catch hold of India veteran MS Dhoni, the latter evaded him by running off the field. In a video that is doing rounds on social media, Dhoni can be seen avoiding Chahal’s requests for an appearance on Chahal Fan (@WastingBalls) February 3, 2019Dhoni, who has made it a point to cut down his interactions with the media, had notably told Chahal that he would be appearing on his popular show only after scoring a century. Chahal revealed the tidbit when he was asked by a commentator during the limited-over series in Australia last month.Chahal managed to get hold of stand-in captain Rohit Sharma after India completed the series win at the Westpac Stadium in Wellington.advertisementChahal asked Rohit if he can be promoted to bat at No.3 in Virat Kohli’s absence during the three-match Twenty20 International series against New Zealand, starting February 6.”He [Chahal] was our top scorer in the previous match that we lost. But I want you to be the top scorer in a match in which we go on to win. I will speak to Ravi Bhai for your promotion to No.3 in the T20s,” Rohit jokingly said.Rohit will be leading the India team in the absence of Kohli in the upcoming three-match T20I series. Rohit is turning out to be an astute captain and his skills as the skipper in the shortest format of the game will only help the team in the upcoming series.Notably, Rohit has tasted a lot of success in the T20 format as the captain of Indian Premier League franchise Mumbai Indians, who are three-time winners of the cash-rich league. Rohit had also led India to glory in the Nidahas Trophy T20I tri-series in Sri Lanka last year.India are yet to win a T20I series in New Zealand. The Asian giants were beaten 2-0 in 2008-09, which was the only time they played a bilateral series in the shortest format of the game against New Zealand at their own backyard.Also Read | Watch: MS Dhoni advises Kedar Jadhav in Marathi as India trounce New ZealandAlso Read | Yuzvendra Chahal to be India’s new No.3 during New Zealand T20s, jokes Rohit SharmaWatch | Shikhar Dhawan does the bhangra as Bharat Army play the dhol after India win 5th ODIlast_img read more